Pictures and text by Corey Jore
These pictures were taken in October of 2008. The Valley of the Fallen (Santa Cruz del Valle de los Caidos) memorial is meant to commemorate the nationalist dead in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). Its most distinguishing feature is a 150m tall granite cross which is the largest free standing cross in the world (http://www.madrid-guide-spain.com/valle-de-los-caidos.html). The crypt, or basilica, is also one of the largest in the world. Construction began in April of 1940 to celebrate the one year anniversary of Franco's victory over the Republicans. Construction was completed exactly 18 years later.
|From this angle the scale of the monument is clear.|
|A closer view of the entrance to the monument. Shown is La Piedad which no longer exists|
|Note the neo-Habsburg double eagle on the left. This was the symbol associated with fascist Spain.|