Pictures and text by Mark R. Hatlie
These pictures were taken on Sunday, January 15th, 2006 in the cemetery in Hirschau, a part of Tuebingen a little bit outside of town.
|The statue and plaques are located near the back wall of the cemetery.|
|There is a statue of a woman in the center. There are five plaques along the wall. Here, one is half hidden behind the bush, on the left wall. The wreath reads, In silent remembrance / the associations of Hirschau (Im stillen Gedenken / Die Hirschauer Vereine).|
|The woman is very realistic, not an idealized form, but perhaps the image of a typical mourner. She is young enough to be the wife, but also old enough to be the mother of a fallen soldier. Partially covered by the vase, there are the words from Psalm 147:3. He healeth the broken in heart (Er heilt, die zerbrochnes Herzens sind).|
|There are two plaques listing the dead for each of the two world wars. The spooky shadow is not the photographer, but the statue.|
|The plaque on the far left, on the other wall, reads, World Wars 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 / The community of Hirschau for its brave sons! (Weltkriege 1914-1918 und 1939-1945 / Die Gemeinde Hirschau ihren tapferen Söhnen!).|